Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Laurel Tavern

The Laurel Tavern is another addition to the LA gastropub scene. It is located on Ventura Blvd, just past Laurel Cyn Blvd. The place was designed by the same designer who worked on The York in Highland Park, they look very similar. This was my second visit and I was not as impressed this time around. There's no doubt the selection of beer and wine is worth a visit, but the menu still needs a bit of work.

On my first visit, we sampled the Burrata and Heirloom Tomato salad and the Chorizo Fondue. Both items were simple, but executed very nicely. On my second visit I thought I would go for some more unique fair. I ordered the Grilled Artichoke which came with a tangy dipping sauce. For my entree, I ordered the Roasted Marrowbones, served with parsley salt and toast, I also ordered a side of fries. The artichoke was a bit scorched, but not bad. The dipping sauce, was pretty bland and could have used a bit more seasoning. I should have been happy with the artichoke, because my entree was difficult to eat. I've had great roasted marrowbones, CommeCa was the latest. Laurel Tavern's Roasted Marrowbones had a very old taste, very minerally. They were also undercooked, so the marrow was not as smooth as it should be. If that wasn't bad enough, the parsley served with the salt was not very fresh. The fries which are supposed to be fried in pork fat, were not very memorable either.

So all in all, stick with the basics at the Laurel Tavern. The beverages and the atmosphere are worth checking out. And when ordering food, stay away from any non-standard items.



More Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment